Thursday, May 26, 2011

From the Journal of Halia Woodrow, Woman at arms of the Kingdom of Gilneas.

We were to be evacuated from the city, but the damn monsters attacked again; this time worse than before. I do not know what is better at this point: the undead who amass behind the wall, or these beasts that haunt everything from our dreams to our fears.

The Prince has ordered any able bodied man or woman to help fight back the beasts, and to help evacuate the city. I have waited a long time to bring my sword to the flesh of these vile monsters, and these orders have filled me with a harsh glee. I will kill them for what they have done not my country, and to my sister. Yet despite our efforts, the Merchant Square is lost to the worgen. I, along with the civilians, move onward.

...


The king has come to meet us, the few survivors to escape the merchant district. He charges me and my other men at arms to rescue the traitor, Crowley, from his cell. Why the king wants a man who fought against him, I do not know; it is not my place to ask questions of my king.

We find Crowley on the top of the jail, he warns us of their coming. He warns us how dangerous these beasts are; they care not for our politics, nor our ways, they are simply beasts.
By the Light, they run across the roof tops as you and I would run across a street. Crowley is right, they care not of our politics, and now is the time that we should put away ours. The beasts will over run us before the undead even breach the gates if we do not.

...


Damn, damn, damn. One of them bit me. Yet this one was a man at first glance. As I approached him, he screamed at me to get away, to leave him in peace. I tried to reason with the man, slowly making my way to him when he snarled at me like a dog. His body then lurched and moved wildly, and the sound of ripping fabric filled the room. He was turning into the beast, and I was witness to this unholy act. In my shock I let my guard down, and the beast who was once man rushed at me and sunk its teeth into my leg. He would have killed me for sure if the gun shot had not broken my cries of terror, and his cries of madness. Lorna Crowley had shot the beast, a look of revulsion on her face.

“How are we to fight an enemy who can hide among us?” She asked aloud, as she helped me to my shaking feet. Two large mastiffs flanked her; both trained to smell out the worgen. Both of them growl a deep, low growl as I move past them up the stairs.

...


The arms Crowley was hiding for his revolution have now be loosed on the worgen! Yet the streets are still full of them, but these ones are different. They are not naked like the beasts that attacked us before, no, they are dressed in the tattered remains of what must have been normal clothing. Now our own people turn against us in this city, and I feel as if this night will be my last. The wound in my leg is still dripping blood, and I am sure that is what is drawing them to me where ever I go, and down whatever street I turn.

...


I have chosen to stay behind and help draw the worgen to the cathedral. The civilians need time to escape to the mountains, and we need to give them as much time as we can. The cannons set on the steps of the cathedral rip through the worgen, man, woman, and child; we cannot spare any of them, they must all die!

...


They have taken the city...all is now lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment